Konza United Way announces $356,000 of community funding to 21 local health, income and education programs.
“We are thrilled to invest in our community partners, which is the essence and heart of our organization,” said Mark Claussen, CEO of Konza United Way, a non-profit organization with a regional commitment to Clay, Marshall, Pottawatomie, Riley, Wabaunsee and Washington Counties.
This community investment was made possible by the generosity of more than 1,000 individuals and local companies who donated to Konza United Way’s annual campaign. Konza United Way is one of the largest funders of health, education and income programs in northcentral Kansas.
20 volunteers dedicating more than 400 combined hours of service during the allocation process and citizen review. Konza United Way employs consistent, high-standard methods to evaluate and fund those programs best positioned to improve education, health and income.
“Volunteers evaluated programs based upon community need, measurable outcomes and financial transparency,” said Claussen. “We strive for sound stewardship of donor funds with accountability to build a stronger, more vibrant community.”
Konza United Way mobilizes resources to benefit local programs. Nearly all organizations saw an increase of funding from past years. The 2017 Konza United Way community partners include:
· Flint Hills Transportation Agency Inc. with Manhattan City Wide Fixed Route and Wamego Regional Shuttle
· Crisis Center Inc. with Domestic Violence Victims’ Services (Health)
· Boys and Girls Club of Manhattan with The Summer Academy (Education)
· North East Kansas Community Action Partnership Inc. (NEK-CAP) with Filling the Gap in Washington Co.;
Family Dev. Advocacy Program in Marshal and Pott. Co. (Income)
· Kansas Big Brothers Big Sisters for Mentoring (Education)
· Manhattan Emergency Shelter Inc. with Caroline Peine Transitional Shelter Program (Income)
· Community Health Ministry Inc. with Dental Program and Alma Outreach (Health)
· Riley County Extension Office with Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (Income)
· Kansas Legal Services with Legal Services for low income individuals (Income)
- Housing and Credit Counseling Inc. with Housing Consumer Credit Counseling and Education (Income)
· Shepherd’s Crossing with Rent and Utility Assistance (Income)
· Circles Manhattan with Weekly Circles Meetings(Income)
· Catholic Charities of Northern Kansas with Counseling Services with (Income)
· Sunflower CASA Project Inc. with Advocates for Victims of Child Abuse and Neglect;
Stepping Stones Child Advocacy Center; and Sunflower Bridge Child Exchange and Visitation Center (Health)
Salvation Army Riley County with Emergency Crisis Assistance (Income)